Beginning with Total Recorder 8.0 the Video Add-on is no longer available for purchase. However, a new Total Recorder Edition called Total Recorder VideoPro Edition has been introduced that has all of the features of Total Recorder Professional Edition with the Video Add-on.
The Total Recorder Video Add-on allows you to play, record, and edit video files in AVI or WMV format. You can capture video from your screen, record from a video device plugged into your computer, such as DV camera, web camera, TV-tuner or DVD player, or background record Internet video streams in WMV format.
You also can schedule a recording from your favourite video services and websites or record any activities on the screen of your PC.
With the Video Add-on, you can record from any combination of video and audio sources, including recording audio output of another application in Software mode which is a unique feature of Total Recorder.
You can monitor and control the video capture process on the Video window:
The Video Add-on requires the following:
- Total Recorder Professional and Developer Editions version 6.1 or later.
- DirectX version 9.0 or later (you can download the update version of the Direct X from the Microsoft website).
- Graphic card must meet the VMR System Requirements. Practically all video cards meet these requirements (except old ones).
- Specific requirements for hardware resources depend on the operations you plan to perform with video.
Note: You must use the same version of the Video Add-on as your version of Total Recorder (e.g. Video Add-on V7.1 must be used with Total Recorder v7.1).
Restrictions of the Video Add-on are the following:
- The Video Add-on supports video files in AVI and WMV formats.
The Video Add-on has the following features:
- Ability to slow down or speed up playback, with support for a wide range of speeds (from x0.01 to x300.0).
- Ability to record video files. Possible sources for the audio stream include: software source, sound board source, and mixed software and sound board source (the latter requires the Digital Mixer Add-on installed). Possible sources for the video stream include: captured screen region, captured screen window, and a hardware video device (e.g. web camera).
- Watch and record Internet video transmissions in WMV format, such as Internet television. For more information, refer to Background Recording (Capturing) of Video Using Total Recorder's Video Add-on.
- Ability to support video files that contain multiple audio streams. This feature allows you to select an audio stream to play, select a particular audio stream to save as an audio file , or to select the audio streams to save when re-saving a video file that contains multiple audio streams.
- Support for video files with multichannel audio streams, provided that an appropriate audio codec is installed.
For example, Total Recorder can work with video files that contain audio streams in Dolby Digital (AC3) format.
- Use a scheduler to record video files. These recordings can be performed with or without an audio stream. Refer to Using the Scheduler for details.
- Perform editing operations on a video file. For example, you can save, cut, copy, or paste a selection. Editing of a video file is performed without re-encoding. This saves time and does not lead to a loss of video or audio quality. For details, refer to How to Edit Video Using Total Recorder's Video Add-On.
- Compress video files using different video codecs. See also How to Convert Video Using Total Recorder's Video Add-on
- You can use the predefined sample links provided with the product, or you can add a video file or URL to your Total Recorder Favorites list for later access. Favorites can be exported and imported.
- You can define some common video settings. For example, you can select a video renderer that will be used by the add-on to display video that gives you the best picture.
- Extract an audio or video stream from a video file.
- Replace an audio stream in a video file or add an audio stream to a video file.
- Save a video frame as a bitmap (.bmp) file.